Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Grandpa Willy


             Grandpa Willy was such a hardworking man. He was away from the house a lot, and we sure did miss him. We had the only house on the block surrounded by apartment buildings, bought and paid for. I remember one day, as we all were in the back yard, grandpa had us clean the car real good, telling us he had a big surprise for us. We looked in the back seat, and there was a punching bag that had Gene Tunney’s signature on it! We were so excited to have it!
              He always talked us up, saying we could do anything we put our minds too. He taught us how to shave, and how to dress when talking to business men. I remember this one time, I was going to go talk to Bill Oliver, and dad told me to wear a business suit. It was those moments that made me appreciate our time together.
             We did have our differences, but he meant well. I remember when I came home, he thought I needed to get a job and make money. He wanted me to be a seller like him, but I was too much of a free spirit.
             He and Grandma Linda made such a great home for us boys. He would always tell her “You’re my foundation, and my support.” I remember sitting in my bed many nights while grandma would hum grandpa to sleep. Their love was so strong and true.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh! I was hoping you'd clue me in to what Biff did for a living after Willy died!

    ReplyDelete